We offer Environmental Site Investigations to support developers undertaking all types and scales of development throughout the UK. We have extensive experience and strive to ensure that our services offer the best value on the market. Feel free to call us on 0800 470 3410 for an obligation free discussion and quote or click HERE to request a formal quotation by email.
An environmental site investigation may be required for a variety of reasons including:
- To satisfy Planning conditions – you may be redeveloping a brownfield site and need to carry out an assessment of land contamination risks in order to discharge planning conditions;
- To undertake Environmental Due Diligence – you may be purchasing a site and need to satisfy lenders that it is not contaminated;
- To comply with the Environmental Damage Regulations – You may be a site owner and want to establish the baseline condition of your site.
What does an environmental site investigation involve?
A site investigation typically involves drilling boreholes across the site and taking soil samples from various depths which are then sent to a laboratory for chemical analysis. We can employ a variety drilling methods depending on access restrictions, ground conditions at the site and your requirements. In addition to soil sampling we can, where necessary, undertake monitoring of ground gases and vapours (VOCs) and groundwater.
Once the results of the chemical analysis have been received, they are compared with generic assessment criteria to ascertain whether remedial action (i.e. clean up) is required. An interpretative report is written which you will be able to submit to the Local Planning Authority or Lender depending on the purpose of the investigation. We work hard to ensure that our interpretive reports comply with the relevant standards and give clear recommendations in relation to whether or not further action is required.
We are able to undertake site investigations to obtain the required information using a variety of methods depending on access restrictions, ground conditions at the site. These include (click on link to find out more):
- Trial Pitting – involves either manual or mechnical excavation of a hole in order to take samples and inspect the soil profile or the nature of existing foundations.
- Hand Augering – Hand augering can generally be undertaken to depths of 3 – 5mbgl in Clays but this will be dependent on the local geology. Hand augering is generally unsuitable for Sand and/or Gravels.
- Hand-held Window Sampling – The sample tubes are driven into the ground using a hydraulic hammer and are then retrieved with the use of a compact hydraulic jack which takes its power from the same hydraulic pack used to power the hammer.
- Dynamic Windowless Sampling – usually used where boreholes (i.e. up to 10-12m) are required for soil sampling and groundwater and/or ground gas monitoring. Ideal for sites where access is restricted or difficult.
- Cable Percussion Drilling – usually used where deep boreholes (i.e. up to 15-30m) are required for soil sampling and groundwater and/or ground gas monitoring.
- Rotary Drilling – usually used where deep boreholes (i.e. up to 15-30m) are required for soil sampling and groundwater and/or ground gas monitoring and drilling through rock or very difficult strata is anticipated.
We endeavour to ensure that all our site investigations are carried out in strict accordance with the following recognised guidance:
- BS 5930:2015 Code of practice for ground investigations – British Standard Institution
- CLR 11: Model procedures for the management of land contamination – DEFRA & Environment Agency
- BS 10175 – Code of practice for the Investigation of Potentially Contaminated Sites – British Standard Institution
- BS 8485: 2015 – Code of Practice for the Characterisation and Remediation from Ground Gas in Affected Developments. British Standard Institution
- BS8576:2013, Guidance on Investigations for Ground Gas – Permanent Gases and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- C665, 2007 – Assessing Risks posed by Hazardous Ground Gases to Buildings CIRIA.
Feel free to call us on 0800 470 3410 for an obligation free discussion and quote or click HERE to request a formal quotation by email.
TIP: We can undertake your environmental site investigation together with a GEOTECHNICAL SITE INVESTIGATION (if required) giving you average savings of 25% on total costs.