We offer Geotechnical Site Investigations to support developers undertaking all types and scales of development throughout the UK. We have extensive experience and strive to ensure that our services offer the best value on the market.
A geotechnical site investigation may be required for a variety of reasons including:
- Geotechnical design – in order to obtain information about soil consistency and structure for foundation design or to undertake earthworks;
- To assess hydrogeological conditions at a site – as part of a Basement Impact Assessment or for the design of infiltration drainage (SuDS).
We are able to undertake site investigations using a variety of methods depending on access restrictions, ground conditions at the site and your requirements . These include:
- Trial Pitting – involves either manual or mechnical excavation of a hole in order to take samples and inspect the soil profile. Usually only used at shallow depths.
- Window (Dynamic) Sampling – involves driving cylindrical steel tubes into the ground using a hydraulic hammer. Used when soil samples and inspection of the soil profile is required to depths of up to 6m or where access to the site with larger equipment is difficult.
- Cable Percussion Drilling – where deep boreholes (i.e. up to 20-30m) and soil samples are required for foundation design
- Rotary Open Hole or Cored Drilling – used where drilling through bedrock is anticipated
Currently we can undertake the following in-situ tests as part of the site investigation:
- Standard Penetration Test (SPT) – used to calculate the “N” value used by structural engineers for foundation design and to provide an indication of the relative density of soils at the site
- Cone Penetration Test (CPT) – used to determine the geotechnical engineering properties of soils and assessing subsurface stratigraphy
- Dynamic Probing – typically used to assess the strength and continuity of ground conditions (i.e. to identify areas of made ground, tunnels, underground voids and cavities).
- Soak Away Testing – to allow on site disposal of surface water to be assessed/designed in accordance with BRE Digest 365 Soakaway design.
We endeavor to ensure that all our investigations are carried out in strict accordance with recognised guidance and that our reports provide clear recommendations understandable to a lay person.
Call us on 0845 303 9434 to discuss requirements or your click HERE to request a quote.
TIP: We can undertake your Geotechnical Investigation together with an ENVIRONMENTAL SITE INVESTIGATION (if required) giving you average savings of 25% on total costs.